No one wants to be without heating or hot water, especially at the peak of winter. You can avoid the hassle of a boiler breakdown by knowing what signs to look out for and get your system checked before a breakdown. You are better off having a functional boiler and deciding not to utilise it, than having your central heating system fail in the dead of winter.
How do I know if my boiler might be faulty?
Boiler breakdowns are not as uncommon as you might think; Which? reported that around 1 in 5 UK homes experienced a boiler or heating system breakdown each year. Across Ayrshire, that’s equivalent to 35,000 households that have to sort out a heating issue, and about two-thirds of those occur across Autumn and Winter. Which? also estimated that the average repair cost was in the region of £300. While some households can end up with a bill of over £1,000! Read on to spot the signs of a troublesome boiler issue before it becomes a problem.
Is boiler cover worth it?
For the estimated 35,000 people in Ayreshire who experience a boiler breakdown issue every year, as a whole, they would be spending £10,500,000 on repairs! Alternatively, if you compare that to the cost of 35,000 households taking out O’Neil Gold Care, Ayrshire residents could have collectively saved a massive £3,500,000, the equivalent of over £130 per household. Furthermore, boiler cover starts at just £8.25 per month. Sign up today and avoid costly breakdowns this winter.
Boiler breakdown red flags:
- Unusual loud noises coming from the boiler.
- The thermostat refuses to work or requires constant readjustment.
- Unanticipated higher than expected heating bills – this is could be a sign of an inefficient boiler. Book a service to keep your boiler running at its optimum capacity and can save you money by being more energy-efficient.
- Constant repairs on your boiler, especially if the boiler is as old as 15 years+. Repairs can range from £200-£500 per repair. Therefore, the costs for a new system vs maintaining an inefficient boiler with continuous breakdowns can mount up. It could be time to think about a new heating-system that better serves your needs and saves you money overall. Contact us for a free quote visit and we can advise you on what would work best for you and your home.
- The smell of gas/any unusual odours coming from the boiler (requires urgent attention) Report potential gas leaks immediately to the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
- Any sign of leakage from your boiler.
- Soot or staining/darkening around your gas appliance could be a sign of a carbon monoxide leak in your home. If you think there could be a gas leak, contact the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
What to do if you spot any of these signs of a boiler breakdown?
If you have concerns about your boiler, we suggest getting it checked out by a qualified Gas Safe Register engineer. All of O’Neil’s engineers are fully qualified gas safe engineers available on our 24/7 helpline any time of day or night to help.
Thinking about a new boiler? Give us a call and we can organise a FREE engineer survey visit to weigh up your options for getting a new boiler.
Book a visit for an install quote today
Our head office is open from 8am-5pm Mon-Fri. O’Neil’s emergency repairs line is open 24/7 – 01292 619799